Friday, September 3, 2010

More Bread, Please!

Despite the awesome numbers I did last night in my smallish section, I feel like I got hit by a freight train this morning.  There is something about getting home at 11:30 and waking up at 6:30 the next day that just doesn't mesh.  Last night, I didn't feel all that tired physically -- even after running around for the same table 500 times in an hours span,  but this morning...man.  That mack truck really hurts.



Yes, this is what our bread looks like -- except ours is larger.
The sad part is that all of it could have been avoided.  No, should have been avoided.  Yet, this one table made it their civic duty to run me around like a field hand...for what, refills?  Somewhat, but that's not what got me.  More Bread!  Why do people in this god awful state think that they have to have their own individual LOAF of bread for every course of their meal?  Coming from the north, I never witnessed anything quite like this until I moved south, and I still don't get it.

Every time I moseyed over to their table to check on them, at least 2 of the 6 needed more bread.  And yes, that is compounded.  So that every time I made it by there, SOMEONE needed a fresh loaf.  And no, they would not or could not consolidate.  I even asked "Can I get the others on your table a fresh loaf too?"  Blank stares.  I even went so far as to bring some more voluntarily, but that was met with criticism.  "It will be cold by the time I get to it" or "Are you trying to fill me up!?"

Their one saving grace is that, even though they were fast drinkers, all but 2 got water -- and no, they really weren't that cheap -- which allowed for fast refills as the pitcher was next to their booth.  That, and the fact that their bill totaled nearly $300 made all of it at least bearable.

At least my other tables were nice and chill.  I don't know if they didn't want to see me sweat or were just good customers, but none of them asked me for anything that would involve a long run...in fact, one of my tables ordered a third bottle of wine so he could "sit back and watch the idiots eat" as he so blatantly pointed out after the 4th bread refill.